Summer School Courses 2020
Our credit and non-credit Summer School courses aim to develop your skills and knowledge, broaden your international experience, and capitalise on our city's inimitable opportunities.
We welcome applications from undergraduate students, postgraduate students, and professionals. Please note that all of our courses have a minimum age requirement of 18, except our Pre-University courses. Pre-University courses are suitable for students aged 16-18, who are in their last years of high school and wish to gain experience in a university-type learning environment.
Pre-University Level Courses
Undergraduate Level Courses
- Edinburgh: City of Literature
- Debating International Relations
- The Global Impact of Sport
- Introduction to Medieval Scotland
- Business Communications and Social Media
- Introduction to Sociology
- Culture & Society in the Scottish Enlightenment
These courses are certified by the University of Edinburgh and are worth up to 20 credits depending on the course length. If you wish to enrol for a credit-bearing course but you don't need or want to obtain the credit, you can study the course without taking the assessment.
Credits awarded by the University of Edinburgh are part of the Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework (SCQF). 20 SCQF credits are the equivalent to 10 ECTS credits or 4 credits for U.S. students.
Credits are offered at two levels:
- Level 8 - for those in the first year of university or above
- Level 10 - require two years of university study, and may have other entry requirements depending on the course
It may be possible to transfer credits from credit courses offered by the University of Edinburgh Summer School to your home institution. You must confirm this directly with your home university as the Summer School is not able to do this on your behalf. We advise that you speak to your home university prior to applying for your Summer School course to confirm if your Summer School credit can be transferred. Your home university may ask for a course outline to make this decision - you can find these on the relevant course page.
Our non-credit courses have no academic eligibility criteria, and have a lower English language requirement. Anyone can study our non-credit courses, they are particularly suitable if you:
- have a level of English at 5.5 IELTS or equivalent
- wish to pursue an interest with guidance and feedback from an experienced tutor
- do not require a course that offers academic credit.
Please note that the minimum age requirement for our courses is 18. The only exceptions to this are our Pre-University courses, which are suitable for students aged 16-18.